Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mistakes

A friend and I were talking about how often, as mothers, we make little mistakes throughout each day, then beat ourselves up over them even if they were no big deal. We started comparing stories and realized that most of them, shared out loud, were mostly just funny --sometimes even useful learning experiences. Here's a couple of my lfavorite examples from this week. I Hope it helps you all to stop and laugh at your mistakes every once-in-awhile!

I made a huge mess of my oven the other day. Baked potatos leaking butter all over the place and, when I realized this, I had just enough time to throw a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch the last of it. It drove me nuts that I'd created such a mess preparing one of those "I'm having a busy day so we're not having a real dinner" meals. I was, however, extremely proud of myself when I remembered to flip the oven to self clean the next day. (It usually takes me several days, if not weeks, of a smelly oven before I remember to do this). The only problem is that I had forgotten about the cookie sheet and my whole house smoked and smelled even worse than it usually does during the self-cleaning process. The silver lining?
This is basically what my sad old pan looked like when I put it into the oven to catch butter.














This is what it looks like NOW!
Who knew?













Then, yesterday, I decided to try having a shower, even though Brielle was refusing to take a nap. I've been very hesitant to do that ever since she became mobile. She is just too good at getting into trouble, but I really had no choice. It was one of the fastest showers in history (at least mine!) but this is what I discovered when I got out!
Usually I would've freaked at the mess, but no one was hurt so I started laughing and ran for the camera instead. Do you see how blurry her arms are in the picture? As soon as she saw me coming, she started ripping as fast as she could!

4 comments:

Lance & Milisa said...

I love Brielle!! The stories I hear make me laugh every time, such a little monster!

Hayley said...

She IS a monster! I adore her and just can't wait till this weekend!

Amy Johnson said...

It was so fun seeing you guys today! Too short of a visit though! I love seeing how big your kids get while you guys are away! It's crazy!!

Tobler Bunch said...

I love moments like these, and theya re best when we have a sense of humor about it! I had plenty of these moments this week already. Thanks for sharing!