Tuesday, August 26, 2008

school begins

Well, the day I've been living for finally came ... the kids started school on Monday and I have to admit that it was bittersweet. They were actually pretty excited for school, but it was harder for me than I thought it would be. Breje was so ready that she could barely stand still for pictures and Trayson got a hug from his new teacher the second he walked in the door and that made me feel better, but Kutter was practically inconsolable. He came to me several times with little tears in his eyes because he missed them so bad. I thought about reminding him that these were the same kids he is constantly bickering with, but instead I reverted to distraction. We decided that it was necessary to bake a cake. That kept him busy ...
... and tasting the frosting made us both feel better!

It was so yummy that we thought we should share the recipe;
Lazy Oatmeal Cake
1 1/4 c boiling water 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oatmeal 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar 1 1.2 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar 1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
Frosting:
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts (my fam makes me leave these out and it's still fine)
3 Tbspl. milk
Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let sit for 15 minutes. Beat butter, eggs, and vanilla until creamy. Add sugars and mix until well blended. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until all ingredients are blended and moistened. Add in wet oatmeal. Pour into greased 9' square pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. For frosting, melt butter and add in order: brown sugar, coconut, nuts and milk. Spread over cooled cake.

I know, it's not my usual recipe -- no chocolate involved but it is still so tasty!
(Thanks "E" for the yummy new dessert!)

4 comments:

Hayley said...

You have the cutest kids ever! Oh how I miss them! I hope you start feeling better soon.

And the cake sounds awesome, I think Travis would love it.

Lance & Milisa said...

School is so hard...I nearly cried dropping Cayden off and he's in 3rd grade!! For pete's sake! I feel for Kutter, he is such a cute boy and so ready to be grown up! The recipe looks yummy, thanks for sharing!

Amy Johnson said...

I will ball like a baby the first day Simon goes to school! I can't believe how big your kids get when I don't get to see them everyday!

Amber Culp Family said...

Your kids are so cute. I am so glad they are happy to go to school! Poor Kutter, isn't he going to preschool? I must try the cake, yummo!