Sunday, October 26, 2008

Have you ever taken a step back and looked at your life and thought maybe you were a little more blessed than you ought to be? That's how I've been feeling lately. I've had my fair share of stuff to deal with, but I have always been really blessed with the amazing people in my life. Anyone who knows me knows how wonderful my family is (yes, I like to brag). Well, the best part about military life is the incredible friends I've made over the years. To me, it's more proof that Heavenly Father knows each one of us as individuals. He knows I'm gonna need help! I think He especially knew how much I didn't want to move here, and from day one I've been able to call the best women in this town my friends. This lovely ladies have helped me millions of times -- they've taught me how to be a better wife, mother and friend, loaned me good books, shopped with me, consumed tons of calories with me, laughed with me, and even cried with me on occasion. As if that weren't enough they just threw me a fabulous birthday party. Yeah, that's right, I turned 33 this year and I got a party complete with tons of friends and the perfect cake (Caramel chocolate cheesecake, to be exact. Do they know me or what?!) I'm feeling pretty loved these days! Here's a picture of the beautiful ladies that made it. To those who couldn't come -- the food was worth having your picture on the Internet! We missed you!
Angie made the fabulous cake. We laughed at her a bit, because it took some muscle to cut through all that caramel! I'll copy the recipe at the end, because joy like that should definitely be shared!
I tried to get tons more pictures, but apparently my camera was having a very bad day. I'm sure all my friends will be very disappointed that the pictures I took of them eating all that good food did not turn out and make it to my blog! I did manage to get it working again so that I could take a picture of my fabulous presents all gathered together. Again, I feel so loved! Thank you all so much!

Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake

INGREDIENTS
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

30 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup chopped pecans

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Mix well and press into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Pour on melted caramel/pecan mixture and chill for 30 minutes.
To make the Caramel Filling: In a small saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Stir in chopped pecans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold 1/3 of the filling into the melted chocolate, then pour the chocolate mixture back into the filling and mix until no streaks remain. Pour into crust.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until center is almost set. Place a pan of water on rack underneath cheesecake as it bakes to help keep it from cracking. Cool in oven with door cracked open. Refrigerate at least 5 hours before serving. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I adore your friends as well. It's nice to know that so many are spoiling you when i can't be around!

And I need that picture frame. Glorious.

Angie said...

YOu are so deserving of a fabulous birthday! YOu make all of us in the picture happier just by being around. Love You Heather!