Saturday, March 28, 2009

How do ya like them apples?

I finally decided I had better do something about the 3 cases of apples that I have had out in my garage since Christmas. My friends have all been canning like crazy --- applesauce, apple butter, apple jelly. Sounds waaaay out of my league. We've tried, desperately to eat all of the dang things, but I can only eat so much fruit before the fruit dip comes out! I can't stand the thought of them wasting, so I decided to take my very first stab at canning.
Breje and I made a girl's night out of it and it was so much fun! She happens to be way better with the peeler/corer/slicer than I am, and she was such a trooper about staying up way late with me so that it never got boring.
We had so much fun that I ran into town to buy another box of jars so that we could do more. I think they are absolutely beautiful!
I think Jody thought he was being hilarious when he suggested, at 11:00 that night, that it would be great to be able to take a couple homemade apple pies to work the next day. Joke's on him! We stayed up until 1:30 am baking them, because we couldn't bear to open up those lovely jars already when we still had tons of apples! It was not our usual girl's night, but I'm sure we'll remember the fun we had everytime we open one of those jars.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

FUN!! I decided I like canning....do you like it or hate it???

Hayley said...

You updated!! Wahoo. I have a goal for you this week. I want pics of all of your kids. I miss each and every one of them.

See you on the 25th. I.am.excited!

Amy Johnson said...

I am so impressed! And I wish I could have been there for the girls night! Sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Wowza! Those look so yummy! Do spread the love and share in your 'secret recipe' ... I totally am into all that is canning, but couldn't do much of it in England (they don't have jars over there - they think it's too medieval or something) but I'm excited to can again! ;) Tina

Amber Culp Family said...

This goes down in the history books as your most domestic endeavor ever! I think it's hilarious that Breje is better with the apple peeler than you. Go GIRL!

Jami Steele Davis said...

Good for you and Breje. the first time canning is the hardest, next time it won't be as scary!!!!