Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fall Harvest

Ok, so I've had a few complaints that it's been awhile since I blogged, but, aside from the various illnesses' that have been getting around our house lately, there just hasn't been much going on! The big news around our house seems to be the recent harvest. The kids have been so excited to finally have a garden again and have been anxiously awaiting the day when we'd have loads of fresh vegetables. The problem? Our vast acreage yeilded about the most silly, dwarfish crop I've ever seen in my life. Our corn stalks never got taller than me and we have some watermelon and canteloupes that are about half the size of normal ones. This doesn't seem to have dampened the joy my kids experienced while harvesting the last of it yesterday!

We also had a farmer plant loads of potatos across the street from us, and he spread the word that whatever was left on the ground when they were done harvesting was free game. I felt a little guilty (and ok, a little white trash!) sending my kids out there to gather up the potatos, but you would've thought they'd won the lottery or something! Trayson said it was just like an easter egg hunt! They turned it into a game; who can find the smallest potato, the biggest potato, the weirdest potato, the potato that looks most like Mickey Mouse . . . Now, they are offering to give potatos to every person we come in contact with!
I think this one won several prizes! I am just so proud!

8 comments:

Hayley said...

Yeah- a post! I bet Tray was super excited about the potatos-that seems right up his ally! I like the new layout. I finally found a website that you can get scrap layouts from. If you ever feel like changing it again it is shabbytulips.blogspot.com They only have a few, but they are cute. Love ya

Hayley said...

Why didn't the template work? If you need some help, call me and I will do it for you! Love ya

Lance & Milisa said...

I looks like your kids had so much fun! I love that you live in such a small town...thanks for the update!

Amber Culp Family said...

I am so jealous you got around to planting a garden! Next year you will have to give me pointers. I must say, I love the new "look" of your blog. We missed you tons last week!

Amanda said...

oh you're sooooo white trash! jk... i'm jealous of your big garden. yumm...

Lance & Milisa said...

Love the new background!!!

Sydney said...

I think you did pretty good for your garden! Plus, free potatoes, not too shabby! I never did get up there to pick some and seeing the size of some of those, I should have!

Hayley said...

Wow I love the new layout!