Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Are They Even Listening?

Lately we have really been trying to make sure we get Family Home Evening and Scripture study in. When I say we, I mean mostly Jody. I go along with it and spend the majority of the time gritting my teeth. It's generally a rather difficult experience. Most evenings, it takes about a million tries to get everyone together. Then one of them, usually Kutter, decides to torture everyone else. It ends in a big dogpile, or me threatening to send everyone to bed early. Very spiritual.

Last night was a great example. I'm getting better at this, so I used brownies to get their noses out of books, eyes off the computer, and hands off the matchbox cars. I even went one step further and let them have the treat during the lesson, thinking this might keep their hands and mouths busy. I didn't get much feedback, but it did seem to be working until Kutter yelled "Pause!" Apparently, he needed to get a drink! Maybe there's been too many video games and movies at the Wolfley residence these days!

Fortunately, there's primary! I've said it before and I'll say it again, primary teachers are saints! I remember teaching the CTR 5 kids and wondering what was the point of even showing up. They were all over the place and I really don't remember ever getting through any of the lessons, let alone thinking that any of the kids listened. Now that I have one that age, I know better. Kutter came home from his first week in CTR 5 with a brand new CTR ring. It is his pride and joy. He wears it all day (It's been 9 days and he still hasn't lost it!) and puts it on his dresser at night in the place of honor-right next to his nurf gun and Lightning McQueen.


The best part is that now, whenever he does anything good, he comes running to me and says, "My ring reminded me to Shooze the right! That's why I put away my toys!" Thank you Sister R!

Most amazing? Scripture study is the most challenging for us. We've kept at it and it does seem like Trayson and Breje are starting to get something out of it, but my greatest hope for Kutter is that he's getting the habit and he'll learn from it someday. Anyone who has a 4-year-old, even one that's not as rambunctious as Kutter, will understand my surprise when we were driving around town today and, out-of-the-blue he says, "Mom, are we ever going to get to a place where the Nephites stop fighting?" OK, so maybe that's not deep doctrine, but

he's LISTENING!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Beautiful!!! that is my favorite when something gets thru to the little people.

Hayley said...

Well that is just lovely! We have read with Adyson a few times, and it seemed to be too hard, maybe we will start trying again. Your kids are so lucky to have you and Jody as their parents.

Amy Johnson said...

I only hope to be as great of a mom as you are! You are amazing! What a great example you are setting for your kids, and I know they are getting something out of it! And I'm sure you are creating a fabulous habit for them that they will be so appreciative of later in their life!

Lance & Milisa said...

That is incredible! You are amazing to take on the challenge of rounding up your kids...I applaud you! Great job!! and good for Kutter...

Anonymous said...

Kutter is so funny! He ran up to me the other day and said, ``I got mad at Ady even though she didn`t do anything, and I wanted to make her scared, but my ring reminded me not to!`` You know how he has an obedience sticker chart? He also said, ``Do I get a sticker?``