Friday, February 8, 2008

Tiny Moments Day 1

Warning: I know I usually tend to ramble, but this one is really a doozie!

I think these are supposed to be sweet, but I have an inordinate amount of embarrassing moments everyday, so I thought I'd start with one of those. It's my selfless little way to remind everyone that no matter how tough your day was, at least you are more on-the-ball than me! (Hayley, I hope it makes you laugh the second time around!)

It started yesterday, when I was trying to be extra prepared to host book club tonight. I've been dying for an excuse to bake Turtle Cake and decided that would be an easy dessert to bake ahead of time. It's very simple. Prepare a cake mix. Bake half the batter for 18 minutes, cover with caramel mixture, chocolate chips, and nuts, then cover with the remaining batter and finish baking. How could I mess that up?



VERY EASILY! The first 18 minutes went by and the first thing I noticed is that the cake was still pretty runny. Apparently, I forgot to reserve half the batter for later! I must have been pretty distracted with trying to find a solution because when I tried to slide it back into the oven, I somehow dumped the entire cake into my oven! Half-baked cake is extremely messy! To make matters worse, I barely had time to react when the doorbell rang and Brielle woke up! I ran to the door (Yeah, the oven is still on, covered in chocolate cake, with the oven door half open!) to let Breje in (She'd been at a friends house) and ordered her to get Brielle out of bed. I smiled and chatted with her friend's mom, then rushed into the kitchen, still with no clue of how to clean the dang thing up! Before I even had a chance to figure it out, the doorbell rang again. Her friends car was stuck! It took us about 30 minutes to dig her out. By that time, a large portion of the cake was burned to a crisp, but a bunch more was still dripping into the drawer below (you know, the one FULL of pans!) To make matters worse, being the woman that I am, I am still determined to bake Turtle Cake! Jody was working till late, so I put Breje in charge of the boys, threw Brielle in the car, and went clear to Walmart just to buy another cake mix! I was still so flustered that I paid for it and almost got out the door without it! It's seriously amazing that the second try actually turned-out!

9 comments:

Amber Culp Family said...

This story reminds me of baking brownies and adding 3 cups of water, and wondering what the problem was. How could you be so dense? You made my day with your absentmindedness!

Anonymous said...

OH thankyou heather. And it reminds me of you using salt instead of sugar. How did you become the domestic diva you are?

HAY

tina said...

This made me laugh so much! But not at you. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that would happen to me! The second one looks really yummy though!

Jessica said...

The cake tasted soooo good, I am glad you went the extra extra mile for us!!

Amy Johnson said...

This story could easily belong in my book of cooking mistakes! Sounds like something I would do! They do look yummy though!

Anonymous said...

It remeinds me of when I tried to bake a cake for mother`s day and I used salt instead of sugar, so I had to start all over again! Luckily, I had tasted a bit of the batter before it went into the oven! That cake you made was good, though!

Sydney said...

I'm glad you didn't give up! It was very tasty!

Jami Steele Davis said...

Now that I see that cake I am even more bummed that I missed book club!!!

Lance & Milisa said...

way to go!! You are amazing to try again & it looks great!!